Rights and Resources Initiative is a global coalition of over 150 organizations dedicated to advancing land and resource rights of Indigenous Peoples, Afro-descendant Peoples, local communities, and women.
In 2016, I led a redesign of the organization’s website. The site was behind in design and technical best practices, organized in a confusing way, and failed to portray the global coalition’s work, impact, and reach. In order to effectively execute the website’s refresh, I managed and followed a multi-step process, which included:
- Examining the website’s Google Analytics data to determine key content areas and conducting interviews with staff to identify the main concerns with the design and functionality of the existing site.
- Using the gathered information to develop an infrastructure for the site and create a sitemap and early wireframes for key pages.
- Auditing the content on the site to map out which pages needed to be edited, translated into French and Spanish, or created from scratch.
- Developing a contract and project plan with web developer consultants to execute the rebuild of the site.
- Writing, editing and designing content for the site, including page text, new audience icons, and header images.
- Managing the review, editing, and debugging of the site by liaising with the web development consultants as well as internal and external stakeholders.